Thursday, November 14, 2019

BOOK REVIEW for "My Boss, My Protector" by Beverly Evans


SUMMARY:

I need to tell my boss that he’s going to be a father.
How did things get this complicated?
Well, it all started with a failed job interview…

Cooper is ex-military and he’s built like a Greek God.
He’s insanely handsome with icy blue eyes that can pierce your soul.
And I’m the bookworm that has had a crush on him since forever.
But my brother’s best friend is no longer the charmer from the past.

Cold, demanding, and distant.
He’s shrouded in scars and wrapped in arrogance.
Working for him is like a fight to maintain my sanity.
If only our fights didn’t end up with me in his bed.
He’s complicated and beyond aggravating.
Why can’t I stop fantasizing about him shirtless?

But the billionaire is willing to throw himself into danger to protect me.
Making it impossible to hate him for long.
So, my one bad decision led to too many to count.
Now, it’s time for me to come clean.
“You’re my boss, my protector, and now my baby’s daddy.”

~ BOOK REVIEW for My Boss, My Protector ~

***(3) out of 5 stars!

This was an okay read, but could have been better.  There is a lot of backstory for both main characters that is dispensed within the first section of the book.  It really gives us an emotional understanding of from where each of them is coming.  But it also kind of bogs things down for a bit.  

Evan's character, at least from Sabrina's point of view that we are treated to, was all over the place emotionally.  She describes their conversation as "free, easy, and full of lots of laughter," then in the next paragraph says that there was a "coldness" and "darkness" about him.  I was just left wondering: which is it??  As far as actions that we are privy to, Evan is pretty much just a big jerk, but Sabrina keeps falling at his feet, which was pretty sad for such a supposedly accomplished woman.

Then there is the extent to which she is apparently deeply affected by the loss of her brother in a wartime friendly-fire incident.  To the extent that she obsesses over it, and eventually let's the bad guy manipulate her right into his hands with weak promises of information on the incident.  All this despite having said early on that she "found out how Ray actually died" from some of his buddies who were there with him.  But later there is actually more information that is supposedly discovered, which Sabrina hadn't heard of previously; which just seems odd given her supposed conversations with her brother's buddies in arms.  

Let's just say that my willing suspension of disbelief was sorely tested several times.  I especially found it extremely hard to believe that this supposedly brilliant woman would so easily fall prey to the obvious machinations of the bad guy.  And that this self-made billionaire tech guy didn't have more ideas and available resources for locating her when she goes missing.

All of that being said, this was still an enjoyable read.  There is angst and intrigue and passion and suspense.  Not at all a bad way to pass an afternoon or evening when you just want some fun reading without too much intellectual involvement.  

It appears from her listing on Goodreads that this is only the second or third book released by this author.  I have high hopes that her future endeavors will just continue to improve, and I look forward to perhaps reading some of them.  

I received an eBook copy of this title from the author,
and have willingly provided an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment