Monday, April 30, 2018

BOOK REVIEW for "Never Enough (Dirtshine, #1)" by Roxie Noir

****(4) out of 5 Stars!


SYNOPSIS:
It’s a simple enough transaction. 
Marisol needs the money, and I need a nice girl to parade in front of the cameras. 
No feelings. No strings. No falling for anyone. 
I’ve been clean for months, but my record company’s not satisfied. Apparently it isn’t enough to only kick a heroin addiction – they’re insisting that I find a girlfriend as well. 
If I don’t, they pull Dirtshine’s massive record deal. 
It’s supposed to show that I’ve changed my ways, that I’ve turned over a new leaf, all that rubbish. But I’ve had it with suit-wearing wankers telling me what I’m to do, so I’m on the verge of telling them to go f*ck themselves. 
And then she shows up. 
Marisol locks me out of my own concert by accident. She’s wearing a suit at a rock show, searching for her lost law school textbook, has no idea who I am… 
…and for the first time in years, I’m hooked. 
She’s smart, driven, and utterly gorgeous. The sort of girl who earnestly believes in following the rules and hates when others don’t. 
I’m a huge rock star, recovering addict, and general f*ckup. 
Our relationship is for show, and that’s all. But with every smile, every laugh, and every breathtaking glance at her curves, I want her more. 
Two months is all we agreed to. But it’s never going to be enough. 
 Never Enough is a full-length, 90,000-word standalone novel with no cheating, lots of steam, and a happily-ever-after ending. 

REVIEW:

I enjoyed this book far more than I thought that I would.  I was intrigued by the basic love story, which is what got me to read the book.  But the fact that the main character was a recovering drug addict was not too much of a draw for me.  And this book ends up having a LOT to do with drugs and addiction and the consequences of such.  Very raw and gritty in places. 

Despite his history as a rather typical rock star, drug addict and all-around total sleaze, Gavin is actually quite a likable character.  He’s a nice guy who tries to do right by his bandmates and others, certainly by Marisol once she enters the picture.  The way in which she first meets Gavin is definitely unique, actually believable, not to mention memorable; quite the meet-cute, in a weird sort of way. 

Marisol is a lovely counter to Gavin’s crazy past lifestyle, and a wonderful compliment to his life.  That these two opposites attract is not at all surprising, but that they fulfill so much of each other’s needs is just darling.  As things progress and their relationship grows, it is so pleasant to watch.  

The reemergence of Liam later in the story, and that fact that Gavin lets him manipulate him to the extent that he does, really ticks me off.  Even though I recognize that everything associated with that incident is pretty much par for the course for recovering alcoholics, I still hate that it happened and how.  I was certainly glad that Gavin was at least able to regain his footing and ask for the help that he needed.  And I was especially happy that he and Marisol were able to work things out between them.  They are a darling fictional couple who really deserve to be together and have the chance to make each other happy. 
~
I received an eBook copy of this title free from Xpresso Book Tours,
and have willingly provided an honest review. 

#NeverEnough  #Dirtshine

No comments:

Post a Comment