Title: SUMMONER RISING
Author: Melanie McFarlane
Pub. Date: March 28, 2017
Format: Paperback, eBook
Excerpt from, The Book of Summoning:
Law One: A summoner is responsible for all creatures it lets through from the netherworld.
Dacie Cantar wishes someone had explained the Laws of Summoning to her before she watched a shadowy creature crawl out of a painting at the local arcade. At least it explains the strange things she's witnessed since moving in with her great-aunt, after her mother’s untimely death. But who wants to be followed by shadows the rest of their life? Add that to being stalked by a strange boy at school, who just might be her Tovaros (aka soulmate), it’s about all Dacie can handle in her new life.
As she nears her seventeenth birthday, will she be ready for her new responsibilities, or will the shadows that stalked her mother until her death, finally consume Dacie, too? And then there’s Law Two…
~AUTHOR INTERVIEW with Melanie McFarlane~
1) What gave you the inspiration for the storyline?
· I loved the idea of a girl who had to play with darkness, but in a way that affected the good in the world in a positive way. I loved playing Final Fantasy as a kid, so what better way than to have a girl have to summon demons. And I’ve always loved drawing. It’s definitely a great mix of both. And of course, I loved The Mortal Instruments movie!
2) Are there any hidden themes in the book that you hope readers will discover?
· I’m not sure how hidden it is, but belonging is definitely one. That and acceptance of self.
3) Are any of the characters based on real people you know?
· Tryan has elements of my husband while Constantine has bits of my father and father-in-law.
4) Who has influenced you most as a writer?
· Definitely Ray Bradbury.
5) If you could have any three literary characters over to your place for game night, who would you invite, what would you play, what would you serve, and why?
· Eeeek. I think I would need a dash of River West from Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. Add a touch of Creeper Man from And the Trees Crept In. And finally let’s invite…oh heck how about River from the Graces just to make the other two uncomfortable. Seriously, if I knew one of them wouldn’t kill me I’d love to see those three in a room! I’d serve tapas, deal poker cards, and sit back sipping some iced tea and wait for the show to start. It would be EPIC!
Melanie McFarlane is a passionate writer of other-wordly adventures, a little excitable, and a little quirky. Whether it’s uncovering the corruption of the future, or traveling to other worlds to save the universe, she jumps in with both hands on her keyboard. Though she can be found obsessing over zombies and orcs from time to time, Melanie has focused her powers on her YA debut There Once Were Stars, and her YA urban fantasy Summoner Rising.
She lives with her husband and two daughters in the Land of Living Skies.
1 winner will receive a DVD of THE CRAFT, US Only.
Click HERE to enter the Giveaway!
3/27/2017- Never Too Many To Read- Guest Post
3/27/2017- Realm of the Sapphired dragon- Review
3/28/2017- Book Review Becca- Review
3/28/2017- Bibliobibuli YA- Interview
3/29/2017- StephanieCassidyBlog- Review
3/29/2017- LILbooKlovers- Interview
3/30/2017- Don't Judge, Read- Review
3/30/2017- trishajennreads- Excerpt
3/31/2017- Wishful Endings- Review
3/31/2017- Two Chicks on Books- Interview
4/3/2017- Omg Books and More Books- Review
4/3/2017- Month9Books- Excerpt
4/4/2017- Under the Book Cover- Review
4/4/2017- So Few Books- Interview
4/5/2017- Booksbooksmurder- Review
4/6/2017- Natural bri- Review
4/7/2017- YA and Wine- Review