Sunday, April 4, 2021

BOOK REVIEW for "Rough (Wolf Ranch, #1)" by Renee Rose & Vanessa Vale

Rough
Wolf Ranch, #1
by Renee Rose & Vanessa Vale

Pack Rule #1: Never reveal to a human.

I broke that rule the day I met the beautiful doctor.
I might be a rodeo champ, but she made me lose my concentration on the back of a bull.
Now the sweet female is on to me since being gored means injury.
When I heal within hours, she knows something’s not right.
My alpha told me to watch her.
Not a problem. I’ll watch her all right. Real close.
I’ll stick to her like superglue. And those human men who want to date her? 
They’d better step back.
Because the doctor is all mine.
Whether she knows it yet or not.


~ BOOK REVIEW for Rough ~

****(4) out of 5 Stars

Although this is the first book of the Wolf Ranch series, it is actually the fourth one that I've read.  It was a little strange going over "old" territory, as much of the happenings of this volume have already been mentioned in others.  But it did add a lot of detail to the story of Audrey and Boyd.

Things with these two are hot right off the bat.  Although Boyd getting severely injured at the rodeo  in front of Audrey and tons of other people  does put quite a crimp in things for them.  And not just as far as them getting together.  It also threatens to expose Boyd as a shifter.  Something which can't be allowed.  So Boyd is instructed to keep a close eye on Audrey, which he is only too happy to do.  Unfortunately, he doesn't ever really come clean to her about things.  And so a malicious outside force is able to use that to their advantage, causing a seemingly insurmountable rift between the two of them.  They also both come with quite a bit of their own baggage, which makes the good thing that they've found harder for either of them to accept as well.  

I really did not like Boyd's older brother Rob at the beginning, at least not the first impressions that we are given of him from Boyd's rather stilted perspective.  But as the story progresses, we begin to see more of his positive traits, and eventually get to view him as a loving brother just trying his best to look out for his family.  Most of the other minor characters added quite a bit to the read, especially given what minor rolls most of them played in the overall story.  The other ranch-hands were enjoyable to learn about, and Audrey's little sister (although she got very little screentime) was a hoot.  I could totally see this little mama bear kicking Boyd's butt for hurting her sister.  

This was a good read, romantic, endearing, fun-loving, and spicy  much like Boyd and Audrey's relationship overall!

No comments:

Post a Comment