Tuesday, September 20, 2016

REVIEW: Star Trek: Starfleet Academy by Mike Johnson & Ryan Parrott, with illustrations by Derek Charm

****(4) out of 5 stars!

I really enjoyed this comic. I am a "Star Trek" fan from way back, and I always enjoy a new take on that world, even this strange new incarnation.

The visuals here were bright and clear. It was easy to tell the characters apart; which is often not the case in graphic novels and is a particular pet peeve of mine. Of course, the fact that many of the main players were species other than human did kind of help in that regard.

The storyline was unique, interesting and exciting, yet easy to follow. I did think that the insertion of the crew from the Enterprise was an unnecessary distraction and meaningless bridge to the storyline of the new academy cadets. But other than that, I really enjoyed the work; so much so that now I want to go out and find all of the others in this series so that I can read them as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment