Tuesday, May 17, 2016

REVIEW: The Promise (Scott James & Maggie, #2; Joe Pike, #5; Elvis Cole, #16) by Robert Crais

***** (5) out of 5 stars!

This is a great crime and mystery fiction book!  I read it as the second in the series about Scott James & his K9 partner Maggie.  Which I really hope there are more of in the future!  I just love these characters.  This is the first time that I've read an Elvis Cole or Joe Pike novel, but I think I may be checking out more of those as well. 

The story was compelling and surprising enough to retain some mystery through until almost the very end of the book.  (Although I did find it very hard to believe that practically no one guessed Amy Breslyn's true plan until well towards the climax.)  The writing style was such that it just kept drawing me on, making me not want to put the book down until it was done.

The book kept switching perspective among many of the major characters, including Maggie, which made it very interesting to get some idea of how each of them viewed things.  Most of this was done in third-person narrative mode.  But the chapters focused on Elvis Cole were instead first-person, which I just found confusing and annoying. 

Otherwise, however, it was a really good read, and one that I would definitely recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment