Wednesday, January 13, 2016

REVIEW of "Vinny the Fox has PTSD (What Mental Disorder?, #3)" by Jessie Shepherd

**** (4) out of 5 stars!

Once again, I read a book on a topic that I knew little about – in this case, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder – and received quite a lot of factual information in an easy to understand and absorb manner.  

I really enjoyed the minimalist drawings, with the use of real photos as background.  That made the situations seem truer, but focused your attention on the character instead of the setting.  I was particularly impressed with the fact that the book also addressed the strengths that people with this disorder can have, especially when so many books about those with disabilities focus only on the negative.  

I did think, however, that perhaps this book glossed over some of the more serious negative consequences of PTSD.  Whenever I’ve heard about it, it has often been due to severe cases, where the person exhibited excessive violence.  The book kind of made it seem more like people with PTSD are just anxious and cranky.
  
I definitely recommend this book though, especially for anyone looking to find a clear and concise way to learn begin learning about this disorder.  It certainly can be considered appropriate for both children and adults.

I hope the author continues this series.  I look forward to reading and learning more about other disorders as well. 



I received a copy of this book free from BlueFox Press as part of a promotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment